Friday, March 10, 2006

I think I had forgotten to mention about some things that have been found out while mom was in the General. The main thing is that they took her off one of her Parkinson's medications, Amantadine. The doctor came in & told us that, then asked Mom if she had noticed any difference. Right away I said that the tremors in her hands have not been as bad & we wondered why that was. The Amantadine is supposed to be a boost to the Levadopa.

After moving to the Henderson for rehab, one of the doctors was questioning about Mom having Parkinson's because the removal of the Amantadine usually makes the tremors worse not better. However that is still unclear. She had Mom walk for her. She watched very closely how Mom moved her feet. The way she walks is definitely the way someone who has lost sensations in feet and/or legs would walk. Mom has lost sensation in her feet due to the diabetes. However, her left foot & leg is a lot weaker & her left foot turns in & does not lift the way it should. I'm pretty sure they think this is due to the stroke she has had... & it does make sense.

I'm really impressed with the way these 2 doctors have been with Mom. Also the nurses seem to be more attentive than most of the nurses she had at the General. When a call button is pushed they answer almost immediately & they also come right away. I can't say it's because they have fewer "sick" patients because a lot of times the nurses at the General were just sitting around talking anyway. I know because I'd go looking for a nurse for the ladies in the room when it seemed more urgent. Nothing like telling a lady to poop in the diaper simply because they were too busy talking to get her a bedpan.. then leaving her in it for over an hour with the resulting rash or leave an 89 yr old patient with a broken pelvis sitting on a bedpan for over an hour, in pain, with no way of calling a nurse to help her get off it!

There were a few (very few) nurses who were really caring of their patients & I really appreciate their care & concern for Mom.

Gee... do I sound angry??

OK.. better get off my soap box for now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ma...

Hmm.. I don't think I have ever seen you so angry... and its completely justifiable... I have written angry letters before so if you want some help with one just let me know.

One good thing... seems as though Nan is now going to get the treatment she deserves...

Catcha l8r Ciao
:-J