Not good news to report today unfortunately.
Dad had a CT scan yesterday & we had a chat with the doctor today about the results. He does have a blockage in the small intestines, but it's not completely blocked. The doctor thinks that in time it will sort itself out & there is no need to pursue this further. However, he said that in a few days, Dad's breathing tube has to be removed & if he can't breathe on his own, we have to make the choice to have it re-inserted for another few days after which a tracheotomy will have to be performed or do we let him go? I can't see Dad being hooked up to a ventilator for the short time he has left. I knew this day was coming, but I am still in shock.
Years ago, Dad was put on oxygen. He took himself off it & said he'd never have it again. Hooking him up to a machine to breathe for him seems unjust somehow. And keeping this breathing tube going doesn't seem right either. But, at the same time, taking the breathing support away & letting him go when he's not in a coma or brain-dead also doesn't seem right. It is a dilema that we will have to work out. I'm pretty sure I know dad's wishes on this & Mom is too. I will be talking with the doctor/nurse more today. I want to get as many facts as possible before making a final decision.
Tonight, Terry, Wendy, Mom, Tom, myself & Doreen are getting together to discuss this & come up with a unanimous decision in case Dad can't breathe on his own. I'm pretty sure we are all on the same page, but I wanted to really talk it out to be sure. No regrets. Tom & I have both Mom's & Dad's power of attorney so the end decision is ours, but I would prefer to not have to use it. I also want to give Dad as much of a chance as I can, but we already know that he is suffering even though he cannot talk & is rarely awake long enough (without a lot of discomfort) to say anything anyway.
That's about all I can tell you at the moment. It will be a few days before they attempt taking out the breathing tube & they will let us know ahead of time when they plan to do it so we can be there.
Tuesday, May 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Our thoughts and prayers are with you all!
Post a Comment