As I suspected, the day was just a lovely gift for us. Yesterday Dad was back to the way he was before. He will follow commands, but that's about as far as it goes. They were supposed to take the breathing tube out yesterday, but they hadn't done it by the time we left. We'll find out this afternoon, when we go in, if they tried it or not & if he succeeded on sustaining breathing on his own. I doubt it very much as his lungs are so weakened now. They were trying to wean him off the breathing tube, & it was very noticeable .. he was having a harder time breathing. If he can't breathe on his own, the tube will be put back in & the tracheotomy performed within the next couple of days. Another surgery, another risk.
I am still glad that the decision on his care has been taken out of my/our hands. In spite of knowing that we were deciding what we thought he wanted & what we thought was best for him, (knowing what his future is) I know I would still be second-guessing & thinking the "what ifs". Now I don't have to.
Sure wish I had better news to tell you.
Wednesday, May 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment