May 22.
Dad was sitting in a chair when we got to the hospital this afternoon. He could barely hold himself up, but at least he was out of bed. He needed a LOT of help getting back into bed of course & was huffing & puffing a lot then. None of his muscles are working well. He has probably lost about 50 lbs. (he could afford it) but now that he is on a regular diet, he might put some back on. He is very wheezy which is why he is still in the step-down-unit. I wish they would move him out to the ward because he can't have a tv where he is & the days are very long & boring for him. He has no memory of the past 2 weeks & very few of the week he was in for the pneumonia. I find his short-term memory is not all that good either. He keeps asking the same questions.. even when I've answered them a short time earlier. But I'm sure that is normal after what he has been through & it will eventually get better. When Dad first came out of his "sleep" he could not hear anything unless you leaned in close. He was still a little confused about things too .. not really understanding some things you were telling him etc. I'm wondering how much he heard & understood from that doctor regarding the tracheotomy etc.
Mom is coping ok but this is starting to wear her down. She has not fully recovered from her ordeal. Her memory isn't what it was. I'm not sure if that was already fading somewhat before her accident & I didn't notice it or if this is a new thing. No point in asking Terry as he hasn't been around her as much as I have been. (until recently) He's been coming down quite often since Dad was in hospital. I think the seriousness of Dad's condition has made him realize how vulnerable our parents are.
Doreen leaves here on Saturday. She's not been any trouble at all & I've enjoyed her visit.
We have our small group here tonight. Doreen is going over to Mom's for supper & we will bring her back here after small group. I'm looking forward to getting together with the group again.
Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment