The major announcement is that Mom & Dad have agreed to be put on the list for a nursing home. Unfortunately, there is a 1 - 2 year waiting list. I know Dad has been worried about what will happen to Mom if he has to be hospitalized. I told him I'd have to go stay with her at their place until a room came up for her. She would be taken in in what is called "crisis". The same would happen if she was admitted to hospital & it was deemed unsafe for her to return home. The biggest problem with that is you never know where she would end up... it could be almost anywhere in Ontario where there was a bed for her. She would stay there until a room in one of the 3 nursing homes she applied for became available. She has gone downhill both physically & mentally. To give you an idea how bad her memory is now, I had bought a present for her to give to one of the children at Christmas. I told her who it was for & that it was from her & Dad. Within the next half hour, she must have asked me at least 10 times who it was for. Each time I answer as if it was the first time she asked it. Poor Dad has to go through this every day.. all day. He doesn't like leaving her alone in case she has another fall. He was grocery shopping one time & came home to find her on the floor. The last few falls she has not seriously hurt herself, just some minor scrapes & bruises, but I know it's only a matter of time. Although, she doesn't get up as much any more.. .she just sits in her chair & stares into space or at the tv most of the time now. I'm not sure how much she's getting out of the tv programs though.
Tena & family are coming down for Boxing Day this year, although they won't be staying for dinner. Terry & family are also not staying for dinner. His girls have a party to go to. I guess going to a party is more important than spending time with your grandparents & other extended family members for more than a couple of hours a year! Do I sound a little angry? I am.. although disappointed is probably closer to it. This could be Mom's last Christmas & they blow it off as if it really doesn't matter. I know it's no fun being around a bunch of adults or children when you're a teenager, and a party sounds so much better, but why doesn't Terry say something like.. sorry you'll have to be late, this is more important or something like that... They've known for a year that we always get together for Boxing Day. Dad was really upset about it. As he says... the only reason they're coming is to get some presents. That's how he feels & I really don't blame him. They haven't seen much of Terry & family since they moved here 4 yrs ago. I don't think Kerri & Stacey have been down here since last Christmas. We just found out that Mike & Lisa are expecting another baby... Jan. 9th!!! Even Mom & Dad didn't know about that!
Oh well... I better sign off before I start getting more angry & saying things I might regret...
Friday, December 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment