I'm way behind on my posts.. no excuses for the past week, but lots of excuses before that.
I was doing quite well after my knee surgery, going out shopping & starting to get back to my normal routine. A complication was just around the corner, one that was very dangerous.
On Sept. 28th, the day before we were due to travel to Ohio to visit Jim & Muriel, my leg became extremely swollen & painful. I went to the hospital & had x-rays, then dopplar ultra-sound. The ultra-sound showed a huge deep vein thrombosis (blood clot). The clot extended from mid-calf to the groin. (I've since been told that the type of clot I had & the size of it is often fatal, so I have been very blessed.) Of course I was admitted to hospital immediately, & put on a regimine of blood thinners (heperin & coumadin) & also an anti-biotic. After a few days, the swelling came down a little bit which eased the pain somewhat. Nine days after admittance, I was taken off all IV's (my veins are very thankful) & the following day I came home. My leg is still swollen, about twice the size now, & I am still on coumadin.
My stay in the hospital has put my post surgery physio back somewhat, but I'm working on getting it back again. It's hard to start over & I was very discouraged at first, but my physio therapist came back a couple of times to work with me & she helped me quite a bit. I've been back to the surgeon now & he has prescribed outpatient physio for me. I go in next Thursday for evaluation then will get on a schedule. The doctor says for me to exercise my other swollen leg too, but I also have to keep it elevated as much as possible.
We were really sorry that we couldn't go visit Jim & Muriel again as it would have been the last time this year. They leave this Sunday for their trip to Florida. They will be back home for Christmas & then going back down until the spring.
Got some bad news today about a friend of ours from church, Paul Cairns. I know a lot of those who read my blog know Paul. He was put on life support & the family called in. The doctors were going to be talking to the family this afternoon, but I have heard no further news yet. Please pray the Lord's comfort for Marjorie & their children & grandchildren. This has got to be so hard for them, even though the past few months have given them some warning.
Thursday, October 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment